A BIG LIST OF DEATH LITERACY, PLANNING & CONVERSATION TOOLS
Ready to develop your death literacy?
You'll find inspiration and plenty of information about projects and resources from across the globe.
Social action and social change projects
- Public Health Palliative Care International Developing Compassionate Communities
- Dying Matters - England
- Good Life, Good Death, Good Grief Scotland
- Institute of Palliative Medicine Kerala & Tracks We Leave - A WHO demonstration project that is now a WHO Centre for excellence in palliative care.
- The Order of the Good Death - Caitlin Doughty and her crew make death awareness funky.
- Caring at end of life research University of Western Sydney - Australia - researching social networks at end of life and how compassionate communities can be developed by Palliative care services.
- The Lien Foundation - Life Before Death & Quality of Death Index
- The Natural Death Centre Charity UK
- Dying for Change report from DEMOS
- LaTrobe University - Health Promoting Palliative Care
- Public Health Palliative Care International: developing compassionate communities.
- Bevival - improving the way we experience end of life.
TALKING ABOUT DEATH & CONVERSATION PROJECTS
These projects promote the importance of promoting conversations about death and dying as part of life.
- Death Cafe - what our conversation with Jon Underwood chat on youtube here. Use the Death Cafe website to find your local Death Cafe in Australia and around the world.
- Death over Dinner Australia
- Conversations for Life UK - a great project using community development and film
- The Conversation Project - USA - see their FABULOUS conversation starter kits.
- To Absent Friends - Festival of Storytelling and Remembrance
- Engage with Grace - beautifully simple approach to a complex issue
- Design for Death and My Gift of Grace game cards - love card games! This one has been thoughtfully planned, and co-designed with the people who will use them.
- Die-alogue Cafe Newcastle - lots of local resources and information and a model to encourage conversation
Planning for end of life tools
- Dying to talk - download the kit from Palliative Care Australia.
- Planning Ahead (NSW)
- COTA NSW fact Sheets
- COTA VIC fact sheets/end of life issues
- State Trustees Victoria
- Respecting Patient Choices
- Advance Care Planning NZ
- Wabiesabie - inform your friends when you die
- My EndNotes - online planning tools
- The Death Talker: What we need to know to help us talk about death by Molly Carlile AM
- We are all going to die by Leah Kaminisky
- Being Mortal by Atul Gawande
- I’m Dying Up Here: Books on How to Grieve and How to Die - New York Times
- Top 5 Books about death by Bianca Nogrady
- The End, Bianca Nogrady
- Dying to know book and resources
- Dying For A Chat, Dr Ranjana Srivastava
- The Four Things that Matter Most, Dr Ira Byock
- The Natural Death Handbook
- The Truth about grief
- The Bottom Drawer Book
- The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying
- The Rest Easy Journal
- The Intimacy of Death and Dying
- Sacred Dying by Megory Anderson
- The Art of Death Midwifery by Joelle St Pierre
- Midwife for Souls by Kathy Kalina
- The Needs of the Dying by David Kessler
Death midwives, Doulas for the Dying and death educators
- LifeRites Victoria Spence
- Sacred Hunger Central Coast NSW
- Dr. Michael Barbato End of Life support South Coast
- The End of Life Care WA
- Natural Death Centre Byron Bay
- Pia Interlandi - Garments for the Grave
- The Art of Dying
- Spiritual Palliative Care - based in QLD
- The Departure - studio, contemporary art and advocacy space in Victoria.
- FilmLife Project - a unique way to have the the chat about organ and tissue donation.
Are we missing your website? Do you have a suggestion? Please add it here: